Where Was I?
Brian Smith
2014-09-07 11:45:15 UTC
Win a luxurious short break for two in Lyons with the Cour des Loges
hotel and Voyages SNCF. The winner will stay for three nights at the
five-star Cour des Loges hotel, converted from four magnificent
Renaissance buildings in the heart of Lyons

Read the article below and answer the two questions. Clues to the
answers can be found within the text:

This, apparently, could have been a lawting, or possibly a moot. It’s a
mound (some 14,000 sq ft), too, and very old. I arrived by driving
eight miles west from a town on the northern tip of a lake. A historian
(born 1795; works include Sermons) lived a little to its northwest. The
town, meanwhile, was home to a painter, born in 1759, whose works
include George Biggin. As for me, I checked out a waterfall (70ft high,
perhaps) on its eastern outskirts.

Back in the present, I drive another two miles west to a pass, and a
stone. Thus, in days gone, at this exact spot, folk could have stood
simultaneously in three counties. Difficult with two legs, I’d say, but
a breeze for sheep. Continuing in a westerly direction, I soon begin to
wish that, um, I hadn’t. Could it be the narrow road? Or perhaps that I
climb a hair-raising 500ft in a mile. Anyhow, it is with enormous
relief that I reach a Roman fort. Its popular (though probably
incorrect) Roman name translates as "fort in the middle of a river
bend".

What goes up must come down; so, fort explored, I again set off. After
five westerly, not-quite-so-teeth-clenching miles, I reach a station -
terminus of a 15in-gauge railway. Happily abandoning the car, I wait
for a train to a coastal hamlet where narrow gauge meets mainline. And
while I really could do with a stiff drink to restore my shredded
nerves, I will just have to hope that a large ice cream will have the
same effect. Rum and raisin would be good.

1 What is the name of the pass? KIRKSTONE PASS

2 What is the name of the station? BOOT STATION

Terms and conditions

The winner and a guest will stay for three nights, on a B&B basis, at
the five-star Cour des Loges hotel. Converted from four magnificent
Renaissance buildings in the heart of Lyons, the hotel is home to the
Pure Altitude spa, as well as Les Loges, a Michelin-starred courtyard
restaurant. It is the perfect base from which to explore a city
considered by many to be the capital of French gastronomy. For more
details, or to book, call 00 33 4 72 77 44 44 or visit
en.courdesloges.com.

The prize also includes return rail travel for two to Lyons — in
Standard Premier on Eurostar to Paris, then in first class on high-
speed SNCF services. Voyages-sncf.com has standard-class returns to
Lyons from £109pp. For more information on rail travel to destinations
all over Europe, call 0844 848 5848 or visit voyages-sncf.com.

The prize must be taken between October 1, 2014 and March 31, 2015,
subject to availability and excluding public holidays.
Steve Watson
2014-09-07 13:27:04 UTC
Post by Brian Smith
[...]
Should that be

1 What is the name of the pass? - Wrynose

2 What is the name of the station? - Dalegarth
Brian Smith
2014-09-07 15:58:20 UTC
Post by Steve Watson
Should that be
1 What is the name of the pass? - Wrynose
Yes I think it probably is on reflection
The station seems to be called Boot Station
Steve Watson
2014-09-07 16:26:19 UTC
Post by Brian Smith
[...]
It's called Dalegarth on the OS map.