Where Was I? .. with one possible answer for the two..
Brian Smith
2014-09-20 23:56:47 UTC
Win a luxurious short break for two in Paris with Le Pavillon de la
Reine and Eurostar. The winner and a guest will stay for three nights
in a Deluxe room at Le Pavillon de la Reine, a boutique hotel with one
of the loveliest settings in Paris

Read the article below and answer the two questions. Clues to the
answers can be found within the text:

Our city treasure hunt is on the theme of "gold". Having solved the
clues, photographed the answers and "saved" letters, the trail led us
here - a fine building whose origins date from 1702. Here’s how we did
it.

We opened the first clue beneath a gilt-bronze urn. "Reserved? Pick up
an ingot in this building’s (three words, save letters one and four)
museum, 300yd northwest." The second clue led west. "Home (save letter
six) of a worshipful company, fifth in precedence." Clue three:
"Church, west-southwest, named after a saint (letters two and six), his
day May 19. An author born circa 1728 (surname, letter nine) used it in
a book (title - four words; letters six and seven). It featured
Arabella Wilmot." We next made our way a mile or so west-southwest to a
square (letter six), home to a usurer (Christian name, letters two and
four; surname three) in a novel published in 1838. Its characters
include Nicholas and Kate. There we opened another clue.

"Northwest to a park (letter three), where eagle-eyed treasure hunters
will recall a bird’s name (letter five). It famously made a bid for
freedom in 1965." Which took us to the penultimate clue and a train
ride north. "This architect, born 1902 (surname, letter nine),
suggested only Eskimos and Zulus build round houses. Find his modernist
home on this street (letter three)."

There, we opened the final clue. "Rearrange your saved letters to find
a home (two words). To coin a phrase, the gold connection is sterlingly
obvious."

Which is how, after some thought, we ended up here - the fine building
dating from 1702.

1 What is the name of the "fine building"?

2 What was the name of the bird? GOLDIE THE EAGLE

Terms and conditions

The winner and a guest will stay for three nights, B&B, in a Deluxe
room at Le Pavillon de la Reine, a boutique hotel with one of the
loveliest settings in Paris - a 17th-century mansion behind the arcades
of Place des Vosges. It’s a short walk from some of the most
atmospheric and fashionable parts of the city, from the northern
Marais, with its hip boutiques, to the cutting-edge restaurants on Rue
Saint-Maur. Facilities include the Spa de la Reine by Carita, a hammam,
a Jacuzzi and a gym. For more details, or to book, call 00 33 1 40 29
19 19 or visit pavillon-de-la-reine.com.

You’ll travel from London St Pancras to Paris in Standard Premier class
on Eurostar, which is celebrating 20 years of high-speed rail travel to
France and Belgium. Returns start at £69, and the journey to Paris
takes just over two hours. For details, or to book, call 0344 822 4777
or visit eurostar.com.

The prize must be taken before June 30, 2015, subject to availability
and excluding public holidays, Paris Fashion Weeks and Valentine’s Day.

Your information will be used in accordance with our Privacy and Cookie
Policy (newsprivacy.co.uk). Times Newspapers Limited, publishers of The
Times, The Sunday Times and the The Sunday Times Travel Magazine, will
keep you informed about special offers, promotions and information that
may be of interest to you
Brian Smith